Wednesday, November 02, 2005

China and the Navy

I loved Sean's narrative so much I need to scrap my original post in favor of this one... The external/social systems in China that Sean experienced sound surprisingly flexible (going from old fashioned thermometers to scans in just a few weeks is amazing). But, what also is amazing is the way that Sean as a system adjusted to all the unexpected changes in course. Sean, have you thought about that? You served as your own navigation team--as if the entire navigation crew of the Palau was inside your self.

Hutchins' description of the embodied system that is the Navy is fascinating. And, I would be even more fascinated to know how he would qualify or describe the computations that occured in Sean's "mind" throughout his wild ride in China.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sean McCarthy said...

Annie - I suppose that, as these texts are telling us, adapting to change is the nature of the beast. Until I read Hutchins I had never thought of adapting to a system in the way that I have tried to describe, because it comes instinctively. (And, of course, I had never really read theory that accounts for such processes.) While I am flattered that I have the crew of the Palau inside my head (I have been told before that I am a nice bunch of guys), I was just using the skills we use everyday - just in a heightened atmosphere. And with a fake Prada mask on.

11:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home