Wednesday, October 19, 2005

late-breaking Varela

I apologize for the late post. THE EMBODIED MIND was stimulating and wonderful on many levels, and, like Sean, I am eager to think about how the book’s final chapters might offer some escape from/perspective on the nihilism of much of postmodern literary criticism.

However: I am feeling a bit indisposed today, so I will add my $.02 with a rather basic question, which is all I can muster for the moment: has anyone figured out/thought through how cultural schemas fit into this model of cognition as enactment of self and world? (Perhaps these threads will come together in one of our later readings?)

2 Comments:

Blogger gfp said...

Eileen,

I like your $.02. If schema are based on experience, how much of that experience is a search for ego, and how much of it is really life-experiential? How do schema change when you try to break the chain between cravings and grasping? Hmmm.
Greg

12:06 PM  
Blogger IB said...

Eileen, good question! From the very beginning of reading the book, I have been wondering how schemata fit in because I know the name of Eleanor Rosch from schema theory! It is mentioned in one of the later chapters that she has worked on prototypes, representations of schemata that are most often mentioned by persons as to best represent a category, e.g. a prototype for bird is a robin, whereas a penguin is not. As far as I know, she has introduced the idea of prototypes to schema theory. Although this very much intrigues me in face of the content of this book, I do not have an answer to your questions. But I would really like to know the relation between The Embodied Mind and schema theory.

3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home